Rivers man attempts suicide for losing his savings in forex scam, police arrest victim

A middle-aged man, Egbe Godfrey, who claimed to have lost all his savings to a trading company, MBA Trading and Capital Investment Limited in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has been arrested by police for attempted suicide .

Godfrey had climbed a telecommunications mast in the axis of the Port Harcourt garrison on Tuesday and threatened to hang himself when residents distracted him and rescued him.

MBA Trading and Capital Investment Limited, operated by a certain Maxwell Odum, collapsed due to its inability to pay investors the agreed return on investment.

Thousands of victims had staged protests three times to demand reimbursement and also called for his arrest.

Godfrey, after being rescued, said life had been difficult for him since he had lost all of his money to the exchange company, adding that he could no longer take care of his family.

He said: “My money was seized by Maxwell Odum. He’s been running away with my money for over a year now. I haven’t seen him since.

“I’m frustrated; my family is frustrated because I can’t take care of them. I can’t train my children and pay school fees. My landlord threw me out. I don’t know where start life.

“I don’t have a job. There is nothing I do. That’s why, this morning, I decided to come here to hang myself.

Some eyewitnesses, who spoke to our correspondent, recounted how they spotted the victim and persuaded her to get off the mast.

“The man said he wanted to kill himself because of the money he lost in the MBA.

“He said the government was not helping them recover the money and the victims went to the EFCC office to report the case, but nothing was done,” an eyewitness said.

A local businessman, who did not want his name printed, said: “He went up there with a rope. He has attached the rope to hang himself. We begged him until he managed to get off.

The excitement that the victim did not hang himself was, however, subdued when police arrived and had him arrested.

A spokesperson for the State Police Command, Nnamdi Omoni, did not answer several calls made on his cell phone.

He had not yet responded to an SMS sent to his cell phone at the time of filing this report.

Copyright PUNCH

All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without the express prior written permission of PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Comments are closed.